Wednesday 1 April 2009

Eggplant heaven


(via)

I’m not sure what came over me yesterday but as early as lunch time, I made up my mind to pass by the vegetable market a block away from our place and buy several eggplants. I was really craving for Tortang Talong (eggplant frittata)!

So off I went to the vegetable market and I chose good eggplants. After that I have to head to the supermarket adjacent to our home to buy some tomatoes (you’d think that the vegetable market would sell them, but no they don’t). I was debating with myself weather I should peel and boil the eggplant of broil and peel. I decided to do the latter so on the stove top, I placed a wire rack and allowed the eggplants to broil just until they’re soft enough to be peeled by hand and squished. After I have broiled them, I allowed them to cool for a bit, and then I peeled them off by hand, it’s quite easy to peel them off coz the skin comes off easy if they have been broiled to the right softness.

After peeling, I squished them all flat and set them aside. I took some eggs, beat them well and season them with salt and pepper. I poured some olive oil over a hot skillet, I took the squished eggplants and dipped them well in the eggs and fried them on hot skillet. Depending on the size of the eggplants, but I used an egg for each eggplant. Other people I know add minced meat to this viand, others add onions and tomatoes but I prefer mine simple and satisfying. Oh, I almost forgot, the tomatoes serve as side dish, you have to chop ‘em up real nice and add a spoonful or so of fish sauce or fish paste. Presto, super yummy dinner.

I had to close my eyes each time a take a bite, I’ve missed this comfort food a lot!

13 comments:

niko said...

naglalaway ako while reading kreezy kainis ka!! :)

well anyways i will do this anytime soon tlga.. thanks for posting ha! wink

pehpot said...

you made it sound so yummy! LOL

parang gusto ko din tuloy, haayss

Mommy Blog
Blogging Tips

Kreez said...

niko, nako you should really try super easy to make and super yummy!

peh, only after feasting on these eggplants have i realized how much i've missed them hehe.

emarene said...

Kreez,
another way to have eggplants is as a salad. Broil, peel then add onions, tomatoes and a bit of vinegar and salt. So good as a side dish.

Kreez said...

emarene, i've never tried that before ah, i'll try it nga over the weekend

niko said...

kreezy!! congrats on ur PR! :)

ghieGANDA said...

wow!! hehehe.. kakatuwa! congrats on this delicious, classic pinoy recipe. :) muah muah!!

Kreez said...

niko, hindi naman nagbago ung PR ko ah hehe,

ghie, oo nga super yummy namiss ko ang tortang talong

witsandnuts said...

Having torta or sinugbang talong for breakfast is a must for me. It's a regular thing on my dining table.

Unknown said...

Hi, there's an award for you over at my blog. Go check it out now at http://sexybluemame.blogspot.com/2009/04/brigadeiro-nenos-award.html

Sincerely,
Pu Niao

Kreez said...

wits, I really don't know why it took me a while to make this dish again, i think I'll be including this in my regular menu.

PuNiao, thanks a lot truly appreciate it and you have a really nice blog there!

toni said...

Oh yummmmmmmm. This is one of my all-time favorite viands. And I don't like meat in mine either! I just like it with a little egg and all that eggplant gooey goodness. :D

Kreez said...

toni, super yummy no, i love the combination of eggs and eggplant, simple yet very satisfying.