Tuesday 21 December 2010

Les Paellas: Back to Barcelona

It delights me to no end when I unexpectedly discover gems amidst the sprouting choices of restaurants in malls these days. That is exactly what happened when we went to Les Paellas. I just had a long and boring hair treatment at Toni & Jackie’s in SM North and I could already hear my tummy grumbling. When I’m in this state of being, I no longer have the patience nor the strength to stroll down a crowded mall and crave for a particular menu, when I’m in this point of hunger and frustration, I would gladly try anything within a few feet from me. Having said that, I told honey that we should just have dinner at Les Paellas coz it’s the most interesting restaurant within ten steps away from the salon where I had my hair treatment. That is how we discovered this food haven.

As the name suggested, the resto’s specialty is paella so we ordered paella negra which was absolutely divine, it brought back memories of our Barcelona trip. This paella is almost as good as the one we had in Les Quinze Nits, and that is saying something about this dish. The only edge of the Spain version to the Les Paellas version is that the latter had less squid in it. This is a must try!

Then we ordered Shrimp Pizza, and man was this a real treat! A single bite and your mouth is treated to a myriad of wonderful flavours that doesn’t seem to belong to each other but somehow went so well together, it was bliss! I’m definitely coming back to this place if only to get another bite of this pizza.

With such succulent dishes, I could care less about the ambiance of the place, but having said that, Les Paellas has a very homey feel to it, very comfy couches and very friendly staff. Only thing I found odd was that there was a wait staff lying on the last couch (we were sitting on the couch next to it) trying to nap and when new clients arrived she had to be asked to move coz they wanted to take the last couch. Oh well, that was just an observation and in no way would hinder me from going back to that quaint little shop.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get a taste of authentic Catalan dish! Yummy!

No comments: