Monday 30 June 2008

Where do we go from here?



It was a couple of years back. I woke up from a good night sleep in my own bed at home after weeks of sleepless nights in preparation for our feasibility studies presentation which was finally over and the semester was at its end, I was back home at last. I went straight to my parents’ room as I was so accustomed to every morning that I was at home. There I found my mom still sleeping so soundly, maybe she was as tired as I was because each night that I have spent at my classmate’s house where our feasib group was preparing our presentation, she would come at 12 midnight bringing us food thinking that we might be famished with all the work that we were doing. I remember my heart was filled with so much love and gratitude for having a mother so caring, so selfless, so like herself.

She was never a stage mother, my mom. I remember my elementary teachers asking for her during our annual recognition day when my parents were supposed to come to be presented with the medal that I have earned each year for ranking first in our class, but my mom doesn’t like going to such assemblies, not because she didn’t appreciate my effort or that she wasn’t proud but because, as she would always put it, “Your teachers will not see me basking in your glory but they sure as hell would see me in your times of need.”

True to her word, my mom has been with me in all aspects of my life. She was there to lift me up when I fell down and failed to achieve a dream. She fought my battles for me when I was too weak to do so. Her eyes glimmered with pride when I told her that I was to graduate cum laude and that I was chosen to be the Presidential Awardee among all the graduating students from our university. She prayed for me and with me each time I implore God’s intervention for any petition particularly for the CPA board exams. She cried with tears of joy with me when I triumphed over the licensure tests. She was supportive of me when I told her the career path that I wanted to pursue. She shared my joys when I told her that I was getting married. Through it all there was only one person who stood by me, my mama.

I have said it before and it still remains true, I owe most, if not all, of what I have become to my mom who has filled my life with so much love, support, strength of character and faith in God. I have never fully understood how someone could give so much and expect so little, if not none at all, in return. Her love was a steadfast rock which has comforted me as I try to live my life knowing that although I may not be sure of whatever lies ahead of me, I am certain of her affection. And now that she has left us, I am not sure how to go on.

My heart is filled with a sorrow that I have no idea how to quench, in my mind there is a void that I know will never be filled again. When I saw the picture that Junfer took when we where having lunch for Father’s Day, it was a picture of me, my sister Miray and my papa, there was this overwhelming sadness from the thought that that picture will never be again complete.

Where does one go after loosing someone so dear, so important, so beloved? How could I surpass a challenge without the assurance of her voice, how could I overcome my fears without her hand to steady me and how could I go on knowing that she is no longer there to rescue me? How long will I allow my heart to mourn for her loss, for I know that if it were up to my heart, I will not stop lamenting? How do I move on?

During these times, it’s still my mama who gives me strength. The courage that she has shown me and the faith that she has instilled in me urges me to take refuge in the knowledge that she is now at peace and with our creator.

Mama, I know that wherever you maybe, you know how deeply we love you and how bereaved we are for loosing you but as you always say, I know that you will never cease loving us. As for me, I know that I may have lost the loving mother, a confidante, a dear friend and a knowing teacher but I have gained an angel who will watch over me till the last of my days are over. I love you mama and I miss you with all my heart.

8 comments:

shengmarie said...

Awww, that's very sweet. I feel for you, not for my Mom, but my grandmother on Dad's side. I lived with her until I was in Grade 5, my parents were in Mindanao and i was left in the Visayas. I was in Grade six when Mom and Dad took me in to live with them. My grandmother is like your Mom, never demonstrational with love, but I sure felt every bit of it. Nice place here, I'll try to visit as often as I can.

Kreez said...

Hi shengmarie, It is very sad to lose someone we hold very dear but our only consolation is that they are already at peace and with our creator. thanks for dropping by and have a great day!

niko said...

Hi kreez,

Condolences to u and ur family. I am always looking forward for ur posts, i was supposed to leave a comment for any update. but this one is really not the post ive been waiting to read. this made me cry. i feel for u. who doesnt love her mom... am still crying now.
:(

i'll pray for the eternal repose of ur mother.

take care always and God bless.

Kreez said...

hi nikoganda, thanks for sharing our sentiments we truly appreciate it, it was indeed all so sudden but as I have said, we find solace in knowing that my mom is already at peace with our creator.

Take care and God bless to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I have loved my mother-in-law as much as I have loved my wife. She has been so sweet and caring to me and never doubted me.

I have lost a very dear friend, a very wonderful woman, a very loving and caring mother and above all my one and only mother-in-law.

I love you Mama Joy!!!

Kreez said...

thanks for being my refuge in this trying times honey,

boo said...

Hi Kreez,

It's been said that nobody will ever be prepared to lose a parent. And I doubt that anybody will ever (fully) recover. I know what you mean, when you wrote your post. I live with my partner, who lost his mom less than a year ago, very suddenly. She just went to sleep, and never really woke up. I saw grief day in and day out, and it seemed as if time stood still for a while. Everything was just painful. I know, because I have see it first hand. He has slowly started moving on, but he has not recovered. There are times in a day when he is very, very quiet..and so very, very sad. We all know that our loved ones go to a better place, where pain, fear, and hurts do not exist, where our beloved walk in streets of gold...but still, I know the void they leave behind is just one big, painful vacuum.

I will remember you in my prayers, kreez. Take comfort in the promise that someday, you will meet your Mom again. God bless.

Kreez said...

Hi boo,

I truly appreciate your sympathy and indeed, i know that sooner or later you will recover from loosing someone very dear to you but the void will never be filled until the time we meet them again.

Thanks for dropping by God bless!