Monday 4 August 2008

One lazy Sunday afternoon

We’ve been having a bright, sunny and warm weather here in Amsterdam for quite a while now and it is an opportunity we grabbed to have friends over, finish a long overdue project and prepare for the visit of families and friends in the weeks to come. As welcome as the great weather is, the activity laden weekdays and weekends this entire month or so has taken its toll and I really needed a relaxed day to just lay like broccoli and the gray and rainy Sunday afternoon was just the perfect opportunity to do just that.

Honey was still hurling around installing curtain rods and window blinds to the guest rooms. My poor honey, so I fixed him a snack first before selecting a movie I could watch while curled up in bed. I chose Memoirs of a Geisha.


I am very fond of this film coz I really like the setting of the movie, an old Japanese town and the characters performances are notable. The movie tells us a tale of a young child, who through circumstances, was exposed and soon became a part of the mysterious world of the Geishas. The movie revolves around her trials while growing up and her path to becoming a Geisha, her inspirations, her glory, her love and ultimately the fulfillment of her long desire. Zhang Ziyi, I think, is the perfect choice to play this part, she lends Sayuri’s character a beauty and grace that I don’t think any other actress could have. Gong Li also gave a distinguished portrayal of Hatsumumo’s character who was a conniving, selfish, jealous Geisha who was envious of Sayuri’s character and beauty. I have watched Memoirs of a Geisha several times in the past but I never get bored with it.

I haven’t read this international best selling book though but I am currently in search of a copy here in Amsterdam so that I could compare the movie portrayal and the novel. This movie was the perfect choice while relaxing on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we could watch it again over and over again...