Wednesday 29 October 2008

Difficult Question


Last year, when honey and I went to Belgium during the Christmas break, we chanced upon a DVD box set that has all the episodes of Alley McBeal. Since I have been telling honey how much I enjoyed watching the series when I was in high school/college, he suggested that we buy the set so that he can also see what I was raving about.

Fast forward to this week, I don’t know what got into me, maybe it was hearing Barry White over the radio that made me crave to see the series once more. I started watching one episode before going to sleep since Sunday, however, it was last night’s episode that had me thinking.

The episode was about this hefty lawyer, he was so big judges are more lenient on him being late because it was more difficult for him to move around because of his size. Ally was then handed a case and the opposing counsel was this lawyer. During the case, as Ally was trying to catch opposing counsel to reach a settlement, he started to have a heart attack and Ally saved his life. When the lawyer recovered, he developed an attraction to Ally and told her that he is willing to cancel his wedding (which was supposed to be that very same week) if she thinks that there is a chance for them. Of course, Ally turned him down and explained that if he truly loves his fiancĂ© then he should stick with her. He accepted Ally’s response and left only to return to seek her advice. He told her that he loves his fiancĂ© and his very comfortable with her but he loves her simply because she’s kind to him and that he knows she loves her but she doesn’t make her heart flutter and he’ll marry her because he is not sure if he will ever meet anyone else who will love him in spite of what he is. He asked Ally a very difficult question. He asked her, if she was in his shoes, would she wait for the “one” or would she settle for the only one?

I am a hopeless romantic so my answer to that question would be quite obvious. I have always believed that only when the time comes when you meet this person that gives you butterflies in your stomach that is the only time that you should take the plunge and tie the knot. Of course, that’s just me. I know that companionship and security are other reasons for marrying, love may not even be in the equation for some of them. But isn’t it most people’s dream to spend the rest of their lives with their one true love. I still feel that is the best way to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Dropping by from Toni's blog. My closest cousin was so hooked to this series. I might try to see some episodes when I come home for a vacation soon. =)

Kreez said...

Hi, this series is absolutely funny and very witty, if i may add. Hope you find some dvds of the series when your back home. Have fun and thanks for dropping by.