Wednesday 19 November 2008

Singapore Trip: Lions home for the elders



Elderly people have always had a soft spot in my heart more so because of my mom. That is why one of the highlights, for me, of our Singapore trip was visiting the Lions home for the Elders. Our company co-sponsors one of these homes. Initially, i wasn’t looking forward to visiting the home because I wasn’t sure if I can handle being surrounded by the elderly people living in the home, I was worried that it’s too soon for me and I might be fraught with emotions.





When we got into the home, I was very impressed with the facility. The building was well maintained, the entire home was very clean and every one was very nice and caring. Upon seeing the elderly people sitting in the common room, I was overwhelmed. I can’t help but feel sad, they reminded me so much of my mom. When one of my colleagues started talking to me, all I could do was nod in response lest I wouldn’t have enough will to prevent tears from welling up in my eyes. I was moved by the sight of these elderly people living in a home away from their families. They were so thrilled to see us visiting them that their faces lit up and they started reaching for us. It was just so touching.

Our group did the best we can to cheer them up and to at least give them a grand time while we were there. Some of the residents of the home are still active while some only stay in their beds. During lunch, we helped feed the residents, talked to them (and I must say it was fun talking to them in spite of language barriers – most of them don’t speak english). Our group prepared games and we staged these games in front of the more active group and they were very entertained as all of us participated in traditional Dutch games. We also brought with us some small souvenirs from Holland and gave it to the elderly people, which they really liked.




I was impressed with the facility, if only we had a similar facility in the Philippines, I think a lot of people would be happy. The facilities, the bed chambers, the food that is given to the residents, the garden, everything was well taken care of. It’s really nice to know that there are people who take time out of their busy schedule, like the Lions Club, to care for those less fortunate people. It was a privilege to have met and to have spent time with these elderly people.

4 comments:

Manggy said...

I think we have similar compounds here-- I recall one in south (Metro) Manila, that is combined with a compound for unwanted/severely retarded children. Really sad, actually, and nowhere near the level of what you've shown us. It looked like a very uplifting afternoon.

Kreez said...

oh, it really was a very memorable experience and I can't help but be hopeful that very soon we'll have the same kind (and level) of facility, in the Phils. I was really impressed with the home.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

It looks like a pretty nice place.

Kreez said...

it was really nice you can see that they are exerting all efforts to keep the residents happy and comfortable.