Friday 9 January 2009

Winter Wonderland


I have to say that we’ve been having a proper winter this year. In fact, I think this is the best winter we’ve ever had so far. Our first winter here, according to most people I have spoken with, was one of the worst winters they’ve had in this country in the sense that it was not cold enough to turn rain into snow but it was really cold because of the wind and there were lots of rain which made it all too gray and depressing. Last year, it was better, less rain, lower temperature. The canals were even frozen in some instances which didn’t happen at all in our first winter here. As I normally say, as long as it doesn’t rain which is normally coupled with strong winds, I don’t mind cold at all.



Now, this year is a totally different story. Since winter kicked in, we’ve had very less rain, temperature that ranges between 3 degrees to minus 13 degrees Celsius, snow, frozen canals (for quite a while now!), fields that are covered in pure white, clean frost which is really breathtaking. In fact last weekend, when we took our friends for their last tour of the city before they go back to Dubai, we saw a lot of people skating in the canals. How exciting!

Oh, and I remember a couple of weeks back, I wondered how long it would take before the pond just outside our office freezes, apparently not too long. I took a picture of the frozen pond with my mobile phone and I was surprised to notice something different with the artwork in the middle of the pond. Since people can now walk in the middle of the pond, some very nice, concerned people climbed up the ladder and draped the man on top of the artwork with a robe so that he will get cold (hehe), only thing is he’s wearing a pink robe for the rest of us to see the entire day… if he only has feelings, that artwork must be so embarrassed right now!
(frozen pond right outside our office... the artwork is quite small but the guy on top of the artwork is wearing pink robe)

Hopefully that the winter we’re having now is an indication that we’ll also have a great spring and summer ahead. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from the Caribbean, so we have sunshine all year round ... no winter, no snow! I lived in New York for almost two years and I dreaded winter and the snow :(

Glad you guys are enjoying it, though!

Kreez said...

hi tamicks, it's nice looking out the window seeing the white landscape outside but once your out... that is a different story hehe but as i say as long as it's sunny even if its cold i don't mind.